Acetylcholinesterase, Amniotic Fluid (AChE-AF), Amniotic Fluid
Specimen Type Describes the specimen type needed for testing
Specimen Required Defines the optimal specimen. This field describes the type of specimen required to perform the test and the preferred volume to complete testing. The volume allows automated processing, fastest throughput and, when indicated, repeat or reflex testing.
Container/Tube: Amniotic fluid container
Specimen Volume: 1 mL
1. A specimen from the 14 to 18 week gestational period of pregnancy is preferred. Amniotic fluid from the 14 to 21 week gestational period is acceptable.
2. Do not centrifuge.
1. Gestational age at amniocentesis is required.
2. If chromosome studies are also requested, see AF / Chromosome Analysis, Amniotic Fluid. The specimen for acetylcholinesterase testing, when requested with chromosome analysis, cannot be frozen.
1. Second Trimester Maternal Screening Alpha-Fetoprotein (AFP)/QUAD Screen Patient Information Sheet (Supply T595) is required; see Special Instructions.
2. New York Clients-Informed consent is required. Please document on the request form or electronic order that a copy is on file. An Informed Consent for Genetic Testing (Supply T576) is available in Special Instructions.
3. If not ordering electronically, please submit the following forms with the specimen:
-Cytogenetics/AFP Congenital Disorders Request Form (Supply T238)
-Biochemical Genetics Request Form (Supply T439)
Specimen Minimum Volume Defines the amount of specimen required to perform an assay once, including instrument and container dead space. Submitting the minimum specimen volume makes it impossible to repeat the test or perform confirmatory or perform reflex testing. In some situations, a minimum specimen volume may result in a QNS (quantity not sufficient) result, requiring a second specimen to be collected.
Mild OK; Gross OK
Mild OK; Gross OK
Specimen Stability Information Provides a description of the temperatures required to transport a specimen to the laboratory. Alternate acceptable temperature(s) are also included.
|Amniotic Fld||Refrigerated (preferred)||365 days|