|Values are valid only on day of printing.|
Preferred: Mayo metal-free specimen vial (blue label) (Supply T173)
Acceptable: Paraffin block, if not more than 1 or 2 cuts have been made to it for slides.
Specimen Volume: 2 mg
1. Two mg of liver tissue is required. This is typically a piece of tissue from a 22-gauge needle biopsy at least 2 cm long. If an 18-gauge needle is used, the tissue must be at least 1 cm in length.
2. Any specimen vial other than a Mayo metal-free vial used should be plastic, leached with 10% nitric acid for 2 days, rinsed with redistilled water, and dried in clean air.
1. Patient's date of birth is required to calculate iron index.
2. If tissue is other than liver tissue, see MSCM / Miscellaneous Metals Testing.
3. Paraffin blocks will be returned 3 days after analysis.
|Liver Tissue||Refrigerated (preferred)|