Hemoglobin Electrophoresis Cascade, Blood
Specimen Type Describes the specimen type needed for testing
Whole Blood EDTA
Specimen Required Defines the optimal specimen. This field describes the type of specimen required to perform the test and the preferred volume to complete testing. The volume allows automated processing, fastest throughput and, when indicated, repeat or reflex testing.
Preferred: Lavender top (EDTA)
Acceptable: ACD (solution B), green top (sodium heparin)
Specimen Volume: 10 mL
Collection Instructions: Do not transfer blood to other containers.
1. Patient's age is required.
2. Include recent transfusion information.
3. For information on thalassemias and appropriate test ordering, see Thalassemia Tests in Special Instructions.
1. New York Clients-Informed consent is required. Please document on the request form or electronic order that a copy is on file. An Informed Consent for Genetic Testing (Supply T576) is available in Special Instructions.
2. Thalassemia/Hemoglobinopathy Patient Information Sheet (Supply T358) in Special Instructions
3. If not ordering electronically, complete, print, and send a General Request Form (T239) with the specimen (http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/media/customer-service/forms/general-request-form.pdf).
Specimen Minimum Volume Defines the amount of specimen required to perform an assay once, including instrument and container dead space. Submitting the minimum specimen volume makes it impossible to repeat the test or perform confirmatory or perform reflex testing. In some situations, a minimum specimen volume may result in a QNS (quantity not sufficient) result, requiring a second specimen to be collected.
No (lab will evaluate)
Specimen Stability Information Provides a description of the temperatures required to transport a specimen to the laboratory. Alternate acceptable temperature(s) are also included.
|Whole Blood EDTA||Refrigerated||7 days|