|Values are valid only on day of printing.|
Collection Container/Tube: Clean, plastic urine collection container
Submission Container/Tube: Plastic, 10-mL urine tube (T068)
Specimen Volume: 5 mL
1. Collect a random urine specimen.
2. Adjust the urine pH to a level between 1 and 5 by adding 50% acetic acid dropwise and checking the pH.
1. Patient's age is required.
2. Administration of L-dopa may falsely increase homovanillic acid results; it should be discontinued 24 hours prior to and during collection of specimen.
3. Bactrim may interfere with detection of the analyte. All patients taking Bactrim should be identified to the laboratory when this test is ordered.
Forms: If not ordering electronically, complete, print, and send 1 of the following forms with the specimen:
Neurology Test Request Form-General (T732) (http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/it-mmfiles/neurology-request-form.pdf)
Oncology Test Request Form (T729) (http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/it-mmfiles/oncology-request-form.pdf)
|Urine||Refrigerated (preferred)||7 days|