Central Nervous System Consultation, Autopsy
NY State Approved Indicates the status of NY State approval and if the test is orderable for NY State clients.
Special Instructions and Forms Describes specimen collection and preparation information, test algorithms, and other information pertinent to test. Also includes pertinent information and consent forms to be used when requesting a particular test
Includes hematoxylin-and-esosin stains. Additional special stains or procedures necessary for diagnosis will be billed separately.
Reporting Name A shorter/abbreviated version of the Published Name for a test; an abbreviated test name
Central Nervous Sys Consult,Autopsy
Creutzfeld-Jakob disease (CJD)
Creutzfeld-Jakob disease (CJD)
Specimen Type Describes the specimen type needed for testing
Specimen Required Defines the optimal specimen. This field describes the type of specimen required to perform the test and the preferred volume to complete testing. The volume allows automated processing, fastest throughput and, when indicated, repeat or reflex testing.
It is imperative that detailed clinical information and, when possible, operative notes and radiographs accompany the specimen. Hematoxylin-and-eosin stained sections are also acceptable but must be accompanied by paraffin blocks and/or remaining wet tissue.
1. If not ordering electronically, submit a Pathology/Cytology Request Form (Supply T246) with the specimen.
2. Submitting Brain/Spinal Cord for Examination in Suspected Neurodegenerative Disorders or Submitting Brain for Neuropathologic Examination-Cases Suspected of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD) in Special Instructions.
Upon completion of consultation, the brain tissue will be stored indefinitely in the Mayo Clinic Tissue Registry. The Mayo Clinic policy precludes our evaluation of cases under litigation that involve non-Mayo Clinic patients.
Specimen Type: Complete brain (and spinal cord when indicated)
Container/Tube: Container with 10% formalin and plastic bag
Specimen Volume: Entire brain
1. Divide brain in half.
2. Place half the brain in 10% formalin if non-CJD, and 15% formalin for suspected cases of CJD, suspended by a thread under the basilar artery and fixed for 7 to 10 days.
3. Place other half of the brain into a plastic bag labeled with identifying information (ie, patient name, date of birth, autopsy number, and date of collection). Freeze and store in a -70 degrees C freezer.
4. Ship specimen using the Central Nervous System Consult Kit (Supply T633).
Specimen Type: Tissue
Sources: Brain (and spinal cord when indicated)
Container/Tube: Plastic container
Specimen Volume: 1 cm(3) cube
1. Take a small (1 cm) cube of brain from 1 of the frontal lobes (typically, right inferior frontal).
2. Wrap in aluminum foil and place in plastic container.
3. Label container with identifying information (ie, patient name, date of birth, autopsy number, and date of collection).
4. Freeze and store in a -70 degrees C freezer.
5. Place the remaining brain in 10% formalin if non-CJD, and 15% formalin for suspected cases of CJD, suspended by a thread under the basilar artery and fixed for 7 to 10 days.
6. Ship specimen using the Central Nervous System Consult Kit (Supply T633).
Specimen Minimum Volume Defines the amount of specimen required to perform an assay once, including instrument and container dead space. Submitting the minimum specimen volume makes it impossible to repeat the test or perform confirmatory or perform reflex testing. In some situations, a minimum specimen volume may result in a QNS (quantity not sufficient) result, requiring a second specimen to be collected.
Specimen Stability Information Provides a description of the temperatures required to transport a specimen to the laboratory. Alternate acceptable temperature(s) are also included.
Reference Values Describes reference intervals and additional information for interpretation of test results. May include intervals based on age and sex when appropriate. Intervals are Mayo-derived, unless otherwise designated. If an interpretive report is provided, the reference value field will state this.
This request will be processed as a consultation. Appropriate dissection will be performed and an interpretive report provided.
Day(s) and Time(s) Test Performed Outlines the days and times the test is performed. This field reflects the day and time the sample must be in the testing laboratory to begin the testing process and includes any specimen preparation and processing time required before the test is performed. Some tests are listed as continuously performed, which means assays are performed several times during the day.
Monday through Friday
Analytic Time Defines the amount of time it takes the laboratory to setup and perform the test. This is defined in number of days. The shortest interval of time expressed is "same day/1 day," which means the results may be available the same day that the sample is received in the testing laboratory. One day means results are available 1 day after the sample is received in the laboratory.
Maximum Laboratory Time Defines the maximum time from specimen receipt at Mayo Medical Laboratories until the release of the test result
Performing Laboratory Location The location of the laboratory that performs the test
CPT Code Information Provides guidance in determining the appropriate Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) code(s) information for each test or profile. The listed CPT codes reflect Mayo Medical Laboratories interpretation of CPT coding requirements. It is the responsibility of each laboratory to determine correct CPT codes to use for billing.
LOINC® Code Information Provides guidance in determining the Logical Observation Identifiers Names and Codes (LOINC) values for the result codes returned for this test or profile.
|Result ID||Reporting Name||LOINC Code|
|18485||Ref Path/Phys Address||In Process|
|18486||Place of Death:||21987-3|
|18487||Date and Time of Death:||31211-6|
|18488||Date of Autopsy:||In Process|
|18492||Microscopic Description:||In Process|
|18493||Clinical History:||In Process|
|18499||SP Signing Pathologist:||N/A|
|18500||*Previous Report Follows*||N/A|