|Values are valid only on day of printing.|
Forms: If not ordering electronically, complete, print, and send 1 of the following forms with the specimen:
Microbiology Request Form (T244) (www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/media/customer-service/forms/microbiology-request-form.pdf)
General Request Form (T239) (http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/media/customer-service/forms/general-request-form.pdf)
Specimen Type: Stool, duodenal aspirate, colonic washing, liver fluid/abscess
Container/Tube: ECOFIX preservative (Supply T219)
Specimen Volume: Portion of stool; or entire collection of intestinal specimen or liver fluid/abscess
1. Place specimen into preservative within 30 minutes of passage or collection.
2. Follow instructions on the container as follows:
a. Mix the contents of the tube with the spoon, twist the cap tightly closed, and shake vigorously until the contents are well mixed. Refer to the fill line on the Ecofix vial for stool specimens.
b. Do not fill above the line indicated on the container.
Specimen Type: Respiratory specimens or tissue
Sources: Bronchial washing, sputum, bronchoalveolar lavage
Container/Tube: Sterile container
Specimen Volume: Entire collection
1. Place specimen into container and send refrigerate.
2. Specify on the order if a specific parasite is suspected.
1. It is strongly recommended that multiple stool specimens be submitted for ova and parasite analysis. At least 3 specimens should be collected, 1 each day or on alternate days (over a maximum 10-day period). Parasites are shed irregularly in stool and examination of a single specimen does not guarantee detection.
2. To submit worms or worm segments, place in 70% alcohol and order PARID / Parasite Identification instead of the OAP / Parasitic Examination.
a. If Cryptosporidium is suspected, order CRYPS / Cryptosporidium Antigen, Feces instead.
b. If Giardia is suspected, order GIAR / Giardia Antigen, Feces instead.
c. If Cyclospora is suspected, order CYCL / Cyclospora Stain instead.
d. If microsporidia are suspected, order MTBS / Microsporidia Stain instead.
e. If pinworm is suspected, order PINW / Pinworm Exam, Perianal instead. Perianal skin sampling using clear cellophane tape or a SWUBE device is required for this test.
3. If the sources is something other than listed in Specimen Required:
a. Urine-send for SHUR / Schistosoma Exam, Urine or TVRNA / Trichomonas vaginalis by Nucleic Acid Amplification as applicable
b. Skin scrapings-send for PARID / Parasite Identification if scabies is suspected
c. Corneal scrapings/biopsy, CSF, or brain tissue for free-living amebae (Acanthamoeba or Naegleria)-send for ACANT / Acanthamoeba/Naegleria species, Corneal Scraping or Spinal Fluid
|Fecal||Ambient (preferred)||21 days|