|Values are valid only on day of printing.|
When this test is ordered, 1 of the 2 reflex tests above will be performed and charged based on whether the object is an arthropod or worm. For parasite artifacts and nonhuman parasites, the reflex test performed will be based on whether the object most closely resembles a worm (eg, mucus strands, food material, fibers) or an arthropod (eg, free-living insects).
Specimen Type: Parasitic worms, insects, or mites
Container/Tube: Sterile container (10% formalin or 70% alcohol may be added if appropriate specimen type)
Specimen Volume: Entire specimen
1. For scabies, submit skin scrapings on glass microscope slide. Cover with a clean slide and fasten down to transport. Rubber bands work well. Transport slides in a clean, dry container.
2. Submit whole worms and worm segments in 70% alcohol or formalin.
3. Submit arthropods (ticks, lice, nits, bed bugs, etc) in a clean, dry container.
1. Specimen source and isolate description are required: morphology, tests performed, location of specimen, or other pertinent information.
2. Indicate reason for request.