Gadolinium, Dermal, Tissue
Specimen Type Describes the specimen type needed for testing
Specimen Required Defines the optimal specimen. This field describes the type of specimen required to perform the test and the preferred volume to complete testing. The volume allows automated processing, fastest throughput and, when indicated, repeat or reflex testing.
Preferred: Mayo metal-free specimen vial (blue label) (Supply T173)
Acceptable: Paraffin block is also acceptable if not more than 1 or 2 cuts have been made to it for slides.
Specimen Volume: 2 mg
1. 2 mg of tissue from a skin-punch biopsy is required, at least 2 mm in diameter and 2 mm in depth.
2. Any specimen vial other than a Mayo metal-free vial used should be plastic, leached with 10% nitric acid for 2 days, rinsed with redistilled water, and dried in clean air.
3. See Metals Analysis-Collection and Transport in Special Instructions for complete instructions.
1. This test is useful for evaluation of dermal tissue. No other tissue types have been validated. The reference range applies only to dermal tissue. Fresh, refrigerated, or frozen tissue is preferred.
2. If tissue is other than dermal tissue, see MSCM/20522 Miscellaneous Metals Testing.
3. See Cautions for paraffin block information.
4. Paraffin blocks will be returned 3 days after analysis.
Specimen Minimum Volume Defines the amount of specimen required to perform an assay once, including instrument and container dead space. Submitting the minimum specimen volume makes it impossible to repeat the test or perform confirmatory or perform reflex testing. In some situations, a minimum specimen volume may result in a QNS (quantity not sufficient) result, requiring a second specimen to be collected.
0.5 cm (14-gauge needle), 1 cm (18-gauge needle), or 2 mm x 2 mm (punch)
0.3 mg by dry weight
0.3 mg by dry weight
Specimen Stability Information Provides a description of the temperatures required to transport a specimen to the laboratory. Alternate acceptable temperature(s) are also included.
|Dermal Tissue||Refrigerated (preferred)||14 days|