Pyruvic Acid, Blood
Specimen Type Describes the specimen type needed for testing
Specimen Required Defines the optimal specimen. This field describes the type of specimen required to perform the test and the preferred volume to complete testing. The volume allows automated processing, fastest throughput and, when indicated, repeat or reflex testing.
Call Mayo Medical Laboratories at 800-533-1710 or 507-266-5700 to order special collection tube.
Container/Tube: Special collection tube containing 2.5 mL of 6% perchloric acid (Supply T012)
Specimen Volume: Exactly 1 mL
1. Fasting (at least 4 hours)
2. Special collection tube must be pre-chilled prior to draw.
3. Draw enough blood directly into syringe to add exactly 1 mL of blood to the special collection tube (pre-chilled).
4. Once drawn, immediately transfer blood to the pre-chilled, special collection tube and shake vigorously to mix.
1. Supplied collection tube expires 12 months after preparation. Check expiration date before using.
2. If perchloric acid spills, obtain new, pre-chilled tube.
Forms: If not ordering electronically, submit a Biochemical Genetics Request Form (Supply T439) with the specimen.
Specimen Minimum Volume Defines the amount of specimen required to perform an assay once, including instrument and container dead space. Submitting the minimum specimen volume makes it impossible to repeat the test or perform confirmatory or perform reflex testing. In some situations, a minimum specimen volume may result in a QNS (quantity not sufficient) result, requiring a second specimen to be collected.
1 mL blood added to special collection tube.
Mild OK; Gross OK
Mild OK; Gross OK
Use of any anticoagulant other than special tube
Specimen Stability Information Provides a description of the temperatures required to transport a specimen to the laboratory. Alternate acceptable temperature(s) are also included.
|Whole blood||Refrigerated||15 days|