|Values are valid only on day of printing.|
Collection Container/Tube: 6-mL Plain, royal blue-top Vacutainer plastic trace element blood collection tube (Supply T184)
Submission Container/Tube: 7-mL Mayo metal-free, screw-capped, polypropylene vial (Supply T173)
Specimen Volume: 0.8 mL
1. Allow the specimen to clot for 30 minutes; then centrifuge the specimen to separate serum from the cellular fraction. Serum must be removed from cellular fraction within 4 hours of specimen collection. Avoid hemolysis.
2. Remove the stopper. Carefully pour specimen into a Mayo metal-free, polypropylene vial, avoiding transfer of the cellular components of blood. Do not insert a pipet into the serum to accomplish transfer, and do not ream the specimen with a wooden stick to assist with serum transfer.
3. See Trace Metals Analysis Specimen Collection and Transport in Special Instructions for complete instructions.
1. High concentrations of gadolinium, iodine, and barium are known to interfere with most metals tests. If gadolinium-, iodine-, or barium-containing contrast media has been administered, a specimen should not be collected for 96 hours.
2. If ordering the trace element blood collection tube from BD, order catalog #368380.
Forms: If not ordering electronically, complete, print, and send a General Test Request Form (T239) with the specimen (http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/it-mmfiles/general-request-form.pdf).
Mild reject; Gross reject
Mild OK; Gross OK
Mild OK; Gross reject
|Serum||Refrigerated (preferred)||14 days|