Kidney Stone Analysis
Specimen Type Describes the specimen type needed for testing
Specimen Required Defines the optimal specimen. This field describes the type of specimen required to perform the test and the preferred volume to complete testing. The volume allows automated processing, fastest throughput and, when indicated, repeat or reflex testing.
Supplies: Stone Analysis Collection Kit (T550)
Sources: Bladder, kidney, prostatic, renal, or urinary
Specimen Volume: Entire dried calculi specimen
1. Prepare specimen per Patient Collection Instructions for Kidney Stones in Special Instructions.
2. Transport specimen per Kidney Stone Packaging Instructions in Special Instructions.
1. Specimen source is required.
2. Specimen must be sent clean and dry.
3. Do not place stone directly in a bag. If specimen is received in a bag, either transfer stone into a screw-capped, plastic container or place bag containing stone in a screw-capped, plastic container.
If not ordering electronically, complete, print, and send a General Request Form (T239) with the specimen (http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/it-mmfiles/general-request-form.pdf).
Specimen Minimum Volume Defines the amount of specimen required to perform an assay once, including instrument and container dead space. Submitting the minimum specimen volume makes it impossible to repeat the test or perform confirmatory or perform reflex testing. In some situations, a minimum specimen volume may result in a QNS (quantity not sufficient) result, requiring a second specimen to be collected.
Embedded in tissue, sent with collection devices, sent in fluid-filled containers, or sent with significant non-stone debris
Specimen Stability Information Provides a description of the temperatures required to transport a specimen to the laboratory. Alternate acceptable temperature(s) are also included.