|Values are valid only on day of printing.|
Unless the purpose of the measurement is drug monitoring, discontinue any epinephrine, norepinephrine, or dopamine injections or infusions for at least 12 hours before specimen draw.
Do not perform the test on patients withdrawing from legal or illegal drugs known to cause rebound plasma catecholamine release during withdrawal (see Cautions for details)
Patient Preparation: Discontinue drugs that release epinephrine, norepinephrine, or dopamine, or hinder their metabolism for at least 1 week before obtaining the specimen (see Cautions for details). If this is not possible for medical reasons, contact the laboratory and discuss whether a shorter drug withdrawal period may be possible in a particular case.
The patient must refrain from eating, using tobacco, and drinking caffeinated beverages for at least 4 hours before the specimen is drawn.
Supplies: Catecholamine tubes containing EDTA-sodium metabisulfite solution (T066) (tubes have a 6-month expiration time)
Submission Container/Tube: Plastic vial
Specimen Volume: 3 mL
1. Drawing from a catheter is required.
2. Calm the patient by giving complete instructions and reassurance regarding the procedure.
3. Insert an indwelling intravenous catheter. Flush with 3 mL of NaCl, using positive pressure.
4. Have the patient rest for 30 minutes in the supine position in a quiet room.
5. At the end of the 30 minutes, withdraw and discard a minimum of 3 mL of blood to remove the saline out of the catheter.
6. If provocative sampling (eg, standing specimen) is required, perform provocative maneuver immediately after obtaining supine specimen. Obtain standing specimen immediately.
7. For each specimen, draw 10 mL of blood into the chilled EDTA-sodium metabisulfite 10-mL tube.
8. Specimens must remain at refrigerated temperature during processing and transport.
9. Separate plasma in a refrigerated centrifuge within 30 minutes of draw.
10. Freeze specimen immediately.
If not ordering electronically, complete, print, and send 1 of the following forms with the specimen:
Neurology Test Request Form-General (T732) (http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/it-mmfiles/neurology-request-form.pdf)
Oncology Test Request Form (T729) (http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/it-mmfiles/oncology-request-form.pdf)
Mild OK; Gross reject
Mild OK; Gross OK
Mild OK; Gross OK
|Plasma EDTA Meta||Frozen||7 days|