Chromosome Analysis, Skin Biopsy
Specimen Type Describes the specimen type needed for testing
Specimen Required Defines the optimal specimen. This field describes the type of specimen required to perform the test and the preferred volume to complete testing. The volume allows automated processing, fastest throughput and, when indicated, repeat or reflex testing.
Provide a reason for referral with each specimen. The laboratory will not reject testing if this information is not provided, but appropriate testing and interpretation may be compromised or delayed.
Container/Tube: Sterile container with sterile RPMI transport media, Ringer's solution, or normal saline-RPMI transport media (Supply T095-Petri dish is not needed for this test).
Specimen Volume: 4 mm diameter
1. Wash biopsy site with an antiseptic soap.
2. Thoroughly rinse area with sterile water.
3. Do not use alcohol or iodine preparations.
4. A local anesthetic may be used.
5. Biopsy specimens are best taken by punch biopsy to include full thickness of dermis.
Additional Information: Advise Express Mail or equivalent if not on courier service.
1. New York Clients-Informed consent is required. Please document on the request form or electronic order that a copy is on file. An Informed Consent for Genetic Testing (Supply T576) is available in Special Instructions.
2. If not ordering electronically, submit a Cytogenetics/AFP Congenital Disorders Request Form (Supply T238) with the specimen.
Specimen Minimum Volume Defines the amount of specimen required to perform an assay once, including instrument and container dead space. Submitting the minimum specimen volume makes it impossible to repeat the test or perform confirmatory or perform reflex testing. In some situations, a minimum specimen volume may result in a QNS (quantity not sufficient) result, requiring a second specimen to be collected.
4-mm punch biopsy
Specimen Stability Information Provides a description of the temperatures required to transport a specimen to the laboratory. Alternate acceptable temperature(s) are also included.