|Values are valid only on day of printing.|
Specimens must arrive within 96 hours of draw.
Two whole blood EDTA specimens, 2 whole blood ACD specimens, an EDTA control specimen, and 2 well-made peripheral blood smears (Wright stained or fixed in absolute methanol) are required for testing.
Container/Tube: Lavender top (EDTA) and yellow top (ACD)
EDTA: Two 4-mL vials
ACD: Two 6-mL vials
Slides: Two peripheral blood smears, Wright stained or fixed in absolute methanol
1. Immediately refrigerate specimens after draw.
2. Send specimens in original tubes. Do not aliquot.
3. Prepare smears.
4. Rubber band patient specimen and control vial together.
1. Patient's age and sex are required.
2. For information on thalassemias and appropriate test ordering, see Thalassemia Tests in Special Instructions.
1. New York Clients-Informed consent is required. Please document on the request form or electronic order that a copy is on file. An Informed Consent for Genetic Testing (Supply T576) is available in Special Instructions.
2. Hemolytic Anemia Patient Information Sheet (Supply T705) is available in Special Instructions
Shipping Normal Control:
Specimen Type: Whole blood
Container/Tube: Lavender top (EDTA)
Specimen Volume: 4 mL
1. Draw a control specimen from a normal (healthy), unrelated, nonsmoking person at the same time as the patient.
2. Label clearly on outermost label normal control and also indicate sex of control on same label.
3. Immediately refrigerate specimen after draw.
4. Send specimen in original tube. Do not aliquot.
5. Rubber band patient specimen and control vial together.
Mild OK; Gross reject
|Whole Blood ACD-B||Refrigerated||4 days|
|Whole Blood EDTA||Refrigerated||4 days|
|Whole Blood Slide||Refrigerated|