|Values are valid only on day of printing.|
This is a consultative evaluation in which the case will be evaluated and appropriate tests performed, at an additional charge, and the results interpreted.
Eosin-5-malemide (EMA) binding (band 3) flow cytometry will be performed on all cases.
Note: RBCE / Reflexed RBC Enzymes, Blood includes: adenosine deaminase, adenylate kinase, phosphofructokinase, phosphoglycerate kinase, triosephosphate isomerase, and pyrimidine 5' nucleotidase.
Two whole blood EDTA specimens, 2 whole blood ACD specimens, an EDTA control specimen, and 2 well-made peripheral blood smears (Wright stained or fixed in absolute methanol) are required for testing.
For information on thalassemias and appropriate test ordering, see Thalassemia Tests in Special Instructions.
Specimens must arrive within 72 hours of draw.
Specimen Type: Blood
Container/Tube: Lavender top (EDTA) and yellow top (ACD)
EDTA: Two 4-mL vials
ACD: Two 6-mL vials
1. Immediately refrigerate specimens after draw.
2. Send specimens in original tubes. Do not aliquot.
3. Prepare smears.
4. Rubber band patient specimen and control vial together.
Specimen Type: Slides
Container/Tube: Blood smears
Specimen Volume: 2 well-made peripheral blood smears
Collection Instructions: Collect 2 well-made peripheral blood smears (Wright stained or fixed in absolute methanol).
Shipping Normal Control:
Specimen Type: Whole blood
Container/Tube: Lavender top (EDTA)
Specimen Volume: 4 mL
1. Draw a control specimen from a normal (healthy), unrelated, nonsmoking person at the same time as the patient.
2. Label clearly on outermost label normal control.
3. Immediately refrigerate specimen after draw.
4. Send specimen in original tube. Do not aliquot.
5. Rubber band patient specimen and control vial together.
1. New York Clients-Informed consent is required. Please document on the request form or electronic order that a copy is on file. An Informed Consent for Genetic Testing (T576) is available in Special Instructions.
2. Hemolytic Anemia Patient Information Sheet (T705) is available in Special Instructions, please fill out for a more complete evaluation by the signing Hematopathologist
3. If not ordering electronically, complete, print, and send a Benign Hematology Test Request Form (T755) with the specimen (http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/it-mmfiles/benign-hematology-test-request-form.pdf)
Mild OK; Gross reject
|Whole Blood ACD-B||Refrigerated||72 hours|
|Whole Blood EDTA||Refrigerated||72 hours|
|Whole Blood Slide||Refrigerated|