Amylase, Timed Collection, Urine
Specimen Type Describes the specimen type needed for testing
Specimen Required Defines the optimal specimen. This field describes the type of specimen required to perform the test and the preferred volume to complete testing. The volume allows automated processing, fastest throughput and, when indicated, repeat or reflex testing.
Container/Tube: Plastic, 5-mL tube (Supply T465)
Specimen Volume: 5 mL
1. Collect a 2-hour urine specimen.
2. The patient should have nothing by mouth except water between the hours of 6 p.m. and 10 a.m.
3. The bladder should be completely emptied at 8 a.m. This urine is discarded.
4. An adequate urine specimen (>100 mL) is ensured if the patient drinks 3 or more 8-ounce glasses of water. Half of this amount should be ingested between 7:30 a.m. and 8 a.m. The second half should be ingested at 8:30 a.m.
5. Collect all urine after 8 a.m. in container supplied.
6. The collection ends at 10 a.m. Include the 10 a.m. void in the collection container.
7. Measure and record the 2-hour volume.
8. Overlay urine with toluene (5 mL), and send aliquot. If no toluene is available, refrigerate specimen during collection, and send the aliquot specimen frozen.
9. Record the date and time (the exact start and completion times of the 2-hour collection) on the container label.
Additional Information: For any timed collection the volume and length of collection is required.
Specimen Minimum Volume Defines the amount of specimen required to perform an assay once, including instrument and container dead space. Submitting the minimum specimen volume makes it impossible to repeat the test or perform confirmatory or perform reflex testing. In some situations, a minimum specimen volume may result in a QNS (quantity not sufficient) result, requiring a second specimen to be collected.
Specimen Stability Information Provides a description of the temperatures required to transport a specimen to the laboratory. Alternate acceptable temperature(s) are also included.
|Urine||Refrigerated (preferred)||7 days|