Specimen Type Describes the specimen type needed for testing
Specimen Required Defines the optimal specimen. This field describes the type of specimen required to perform the test and the preferred volume to complete testing. The volume allows automated processing, fastest throughput and, when indicated, repeat or reflex testing.
Container/Tube: Unstained slide
Specimen Volume: Adequate volume
1. Collect a random urine specimen.
2. Unstained slide should be prepared within 2 hours of collection.
3. Centrifuge urine in cytospin centrifuge at speed of 750 rpm for 5 minutes.
4. Guidelines for slide preparation. Use the sediment to prepare slides follows:
a. 150 mcL of sample for 1 to 3 WBC count.
b. 100 mcL of sample for moderate to normal sediment (<50 cell/hpf).
c. 50 mcL of sample for heavier sediment (>50 cells/hpf).
d. 25 mcL for packed fields of sediment.
1. Stained cytospin slides on Mayo Medical Laboratories patients are retained for 7 days.
2. Call Mayo Medical Laboratories at 800-533-1710 or 507-266-5700 with questions.
Specimen Stability Information Provides a description of the temperatures required to transport a specimen to the laboratory. Alternate acceptable temperature(s) are also included.
|Urine||Ambient (preferred)||14 days|