|Values are valid only on day of printing.|
Container/Tube: Unstained slide
Specimen Volume: 1 slide
1. Collect a random urine specimen.
2. Spin 10 mL of a random urine collection in centrifuge.
3. Pour off supernatant. Assess urine sediment for presence of white blood cells (WBC). If no WBCs are seen, the eosinophil test canâ€™t be performed. If WBCs are present, prepare slides using the spun sediment.
4. Unstained slide should be prepared within 2 hours of collection.
5. Centrifuge urine in cytospin centrifuge at speed of 750 rpm for 5 minutes.
6. Guidelines for slide preparation. Use the sediment to prepare slides as follows:
a. 150 mcL of sample for 1 to 3 WBC/high power field (hpf).
b. 100 mcL of sample for moderate to normal sediment (<50 cell/hpf).
c. 50 mcL of sample for heavier sediment (>50 cells/hpf).
d. 25 mcL for packed fields of sediment.
1. Stained cytospin slides on Mayo Medical Laboratories patients are retained for 7 days.
2. Call Mayo Medical Laboratories at 800-533-1710 or 507-266-5700 with questions.
|Urine||Refrigerated (preferred)||14 days|