|Values are valid only on day of printing.|
Container/Tube: Stool container (Supply T291)
Preferred: Entire 48-, or 72-hour collection
Acceptable: Entire 24-hour or random collection
1. All containers must be sent together.
2. The entire collection must contain at least 5 g of feces.
3. For a random collection, a minimum of 5 g (do not send entire collection) is required.
4. The number of containers sent should be indicated on the labels (1 of 4, for example).
1. Length of collection period is required.
2. Patient can store sample at refrigerate temperature during collection period.
3. A separate order and collection should take place if stool bicarbonate, calcium, chloride, magnesium, osmolality, pH, potassium, sodium, or any microbiology testing is desired.
4. For 3 days prior to and during the collection period:
a. Patient should be on a fat-controlled diet (100-150 g fat per day).
b. No laxatives (particularly mineral oil and castor oil)
c. No synthetic fat substitutes (eg, Olestra) or fat-blocking nutritional supplements
5. The use of diaper rash ointments will falsely elevate test results. Discontinue use during collection period.
6. Barium interferes with test procedure; a waiting period of 48 hours before stool collection analysis is recommended.
|Fecal||Frozen (preferred)||180 days|