Culture Referred for Identification, Fungus
Specimen Type Describes the specimen type needed for testing
Specimen Required Defines the optimal specimen. This field describes the type of specimen required to perform the test and the preferred volume to complete testing. The volume allows automated processing, fastest throughput and, when indicated, repeat or reflex testing.
Specimen Type: Organism
Preferred: Sabouraud dextrose agar slant
Acceptable: Inhibitory mold agar slant
Specimen Volume: Isolated mold or yeast
1. Organism must be in pure culture, actively growing.
2. Place specimen in a large infectious container (Supply T146) and label as an etiologic agent/infectious substance, if appropriate.
1. Specimen source is required.
2. Isolate description is required: Gram stain reaction, morphology, tests performed
3. See Infectious Specimen Shipping Guidelines in Special Instructions for shipping information.
Forms: If not ordering electronically, submit a Microbiology Request Form (Supply T244) with the specimen.
Specimen Minimum Volume Defines the amount of specimen required to perform an assay once, including instrument and container dead space. Submitting the minimum specimen volume makes it impossible to repeat the test or perform confirmatory or perform reflex testing. In some situations, a minimum specimen volume may result in a QNS (quantity not sufficient) result, requiring a second specimen to be collected.
Specimen Stability Information Provides a description of the temperatures required to transport a specimen to the laboratory. Alternate acceptable temperature(s) are also included.