Postmortem Screening, Bile and Blood Spots
Testing Algorithm Delineates situation(s) when tests are added to the initial order. This includes reflex and additional tests.
See Postmortem Screening Algorithm in Special Instructions.
Specimen Type Describes the specimen type needed for testing
Request the original newborn screening card from the state laboratory where the decedent was born. See Request for Original Newborn Screening Card in Special Instructions.
Specimen Required Defines the optimal specimen. This field describes the type of specimen required to perform the test and the preferred volume to complete testing. The volume allows automated processing, fastest throughput and, when indicated, repeat or reflex testing.
Both bile and blood spots are required.
Supplies: Card-Postmortem Screening (Filter Paper) (T525)
Collection Container/Tube: Postmortem Screening Card (T525)
Specimen Volume: Properly completed screening card
1. Collect blood in a heparin-containing tube and drop 25 mcL of blood onto each circle on 1 end of the special card.
2. Collect bile by direct puncture of the gallbladder and drop 25 mcL of bile onto each circle on the opposite end of the card.
3. Allow to dry at ambient temperature in a horizontal position for 3 or more hours.
4. Fill out information on page 2 of collection card.
5. Do not expose specimen to heat or direct sunlight.
6. Do not stack wet specimens.
7. Keep specimen dry.
Specimen Minimum Volume Defines the amount of specimen required to perform an assay once, including instrument and container dead space. Submitting the minimum specimen volume makes it impossible to repeat the test or perform confirmatory or perform reflex testing. In some situations, a minimum specimen volume may result in a QNS (quantity not sufficient) result, requiring a second specimen to be collected.
Bile Spot: 1 and Blood Spot: 1
Specimen Stability Information Provides a description of the temperatures required to transport a specimen to the laboratory. Alternate acceptable temperature(s) are also included.
|Whole blood||Ambient (preferred)|