|Values are valid only on day of printing.|
Hemoglobin electrophoresis cascade will always include hemoglobin A(2) and F and hemoglobin electrophoresis.
Reflex testing-Hemoglobin electrophoresis reflex testing, performed at additional charge, may include any or all of the following as indicated to identify rare hemoglobin variants present: hemoglobin S screen, unstable hemoglobin, isoelectric focusing confirms, hemoglobin variant by mass spectrometry, hemoglobin F red cell distribution, beta-globin gene, large deletion/duplication, alpha-globin gene sequencing, and beta-globin gene sequencing.
Preferred: Lavender top (EDTA)
Acceptable: ACD (solution B), green top (sodium heparin)
Specimen Volume: 10 mL
Collection Instructions: Do not transfer blood to other containers.
1. Patient's age is required.
2. Include recent transfusion information.
3. For information on thalassemias and appropriate test ordering, see Thalassemia Tests in Special Instructions.
1. New York Clients-Informed consent is required. Please document on the request form or electronic order that a copy is on file. An Informed Consent for Genetic Testing (T576) is available in Special Instructions.
2. Thalassemia/Hemoglobinopathy Patient Information (T358) in Special Instructions
3. If not ordering electronically, complete, print, and send 1 of the following forms with the specimen:
General Test Request Form (T239) (http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/it-mmfiles/general-request-form.pdf)
Benign Hematology Test Request Form (T755) (http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/it-mmfiles/benign-hematology-test-request-form.pdf)
No (lab will evaluate)
|Whole Blood EDTA||Refrigerated||7 days|