Antimicrobial Susceptibility, Acid-Fast Bacilli, Rapidly Growing
Specimen Type Describes the specimen type needed for testing
Specimen Required Defines the optimal specimen. This field describes the type of specimen required to perform the test and the preferred volume to complete testing. The volume allows automated processing, fastest throughput and, when indicated, repeat or reflex testing.
Specimen Type: Organism
Container/Tube: Middlebrook 7H10 agar slant or other appropriate media
Specimen Volume: Isolate
1. Organism must be in pure culture, actively growing.
2. Place specimen in a large infectious container (Supply T146) and label as an etiologic agent.
1. Specimen source and suspected organism identification are required.
2. CTB/8205 Mycobacterial Culture or CTBID/80278 Culture, Referred for Identification, Mycobacterium must also be ordered and will be charged separately unless identification of organism is provided.
3. For Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex, see MTBV2/56032 Antimicrobial Susceptibility, Mycobacterium tuberculosis Complex, Broth Method.
4. See Infectious Specimen Shipping Guidelines in Special Instructions.
Forms: If not ordering electronically, submit a Microbiology Request Form (Supply T244) with the specimen.
Specimen Minimum Volume Defines the amount of specimen required to perform an assay once, including instrument and container dead space. Submitting the minimum specimen volume makes it impossible to repeat the test or perform confirmatory or perform reflex testing. In some situations, a minimum specimen volume may result in a QNS (quantity not sufficient) result, requiring a second specimen to be collected.
Specimen Stability Information Provides a description of the temperatures required to transport a specimen to the laboratory. Alternate acceptable temperature(s) are also included.