|Values are valid only on day of printing.|
Container/Tube: Otsuka BreathTek UBT Breath Test Specimen Collection Kit (Supply T375: fees apply)
Specimen Volume: Breath specimen
1. Fasting (1 hour).
2. Do not collect if patient is <3 years old.
3. For patients between 3 and 17 years old, complete Pediatric UHR card from link in Special Instructions.
1. Patients should not have taken bismuth/Tritec, antibiotics, proton-pump inhibitors (eg, Prilosec, Prevacid, Aciphex, Protonix, and Nexium) or Pepto-Bismol for 2 weeks prior to testing.
2. If taking prescription levels of the H2-receptor antagonists (Pepcid, Tagamet, Axid, Zantac), it is suggested to move to the low-dose, over-the-counter strength for 2 weeks prior to testing and not taking the dose on the day of the test.
3. Carafate (sucralfate) does not interfere with the test.
4. An alternative test for the diagnosis of active Helicobacter pylori infection in patients younger than 18 years of age is the HPSA / Helicobacter pylori Antigen, Feces which requires a different collection.
Forms: If not ordering electronically, complete, print, and send a Microbiology Test Request Form (T244) with the specimen (http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/it-mmfiles/microbiology_test_request_form.pdf).