|Values are valid only on day of printing.|
See Hyperoxaluria Diagnostic Algorithm in Special Instructions.
Any client who has never drawn a specimen for this test should call 800-533-1710 or 507-266-5700 and ask for the Renal Laboratory for more detailed instructions.
Specimen Type: Acidified plasma
Collection Container/Tube: Green top (sodium heparin)
Submission Container/Tube: Plastic vial
Specimen Volume: 5 mL
1. Fasting (12 hours)
2. Place on wet ice immediately.
3. Centrifuge for 10 minutes at 3,500 rpm at 4 degrees C within 1 hour of draw.
4. Adjust the pH of the plasma specimen to a pH of 1 to 3.5 (ideal range is 2.3-2.7) with approximately 10 mcL concentrated (12N) HCl per 1 mL plasma.
1. Patient should avoid taking vitamin C supplements for 24 hours prior to draw.
2. Nonacidified specimen can be accepted if the heparinized plasma is properly frozen. However, in nonacidified plasma, oxalate values may increase spontaneously (average 50% increase for plasma oxalate <15 mcmol/L; average 10% increase for plasma oxalate >15 mcmol/L) and will be reported with a disclaimer.
|Plasma Na Heparin||Frozen||7 days|