|Values are valid only on day of printing.|
See Hyperoxaluria Diagnostic Algorithm in Special Instructions.
Any client who has never drawn a specimen for this test should call 800-533-1710 or 507-266-5700 and ask for the Renal Laboratory for more detailed instructions.
Specimen Type: Acidified plasma
Collection Container/Tube: Green top (sodium heparin)
Submission Container/Tube: Plastic vial
Specimen Volume: 5 mL
1. Fasting (12 hours)
2. Place on wet ice immediately.
3. Centrifuge for 10 minutes at 3,500 rpm at 4 degrees C within 1 hour of draw.
4. Adjust the pH of the plasma specimen to a pH of 1 to 3.5 (ideal range is 2.3-2.7) with approximately 10 mcL concentrated (12N) HCl per 1 mL plasma.
1. Patient should avoid taking vitamin C supplements for 24 hours prior to draw.
2. Nonacidified specimen can be accepted if the heparinized plasma is properly frozen. However, a disclaimer will be added in nonacidified plasma, oxalate values may increase spontaneously (average 50% increase for plasma oxalate <15 mcmol/L; average 10% increase for plasma oxalate >15 mcmol/L).
|Plasma Na Heparin||Frozen||14 days|