|Values are valid only on day of printing.|
When this test is ordered, the reflex tests may be performed and charged. All bacterial organisms submitted will be identified and billed as appropriate.
If susceptibility testing is needed; order MMLSA / Antimicrobial Susceptibility, Anaerobic Bacteria, MIC also. If susceptibilities are not appropriate, MMLSA will be canceled at report time.
1. See Infectious Specimen Shipping Guidelines in Special Instructions for shipping information.
2. Place specimen in a large infectious container (T146) and label as an etiologic agent/infectious substance, if appropriate.
1. Specimen source is required.
2. Isolate description is required: Gram stain reaction, morphology, tests performed.
Anaerobic transport tube (T588)
Thioglycollate broth or any other suitable anaerobic transport system
Large infectious container (T146)
Specimen Type: Pure culture of organism from a source not normally colonized by anaerobes
Acceptable Sources: Abscesses, percutaneous transtracheal aspirates, sterile body fluids, suprapubic aspirations, or wounds
Preferred: Anaerobic transport tube (T588)
Acceptable: Thioglycollate broth or any other suitable anaerobic transport system
1. Perform isolation of infecting bacteria.
2. Bacterial organism must be submitted in pure culture, actively growing. Do not submit mixed cultures.
If not ordering electronically, complete, print, and send a Microbiology Test Request Form (T244) with the specimen (http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/it-mmfiles/microbiology_test_request_form.pdf).