|Values are valid only on day of printing.|
When this test is ordered, the reflex tests may be performed and charged separately. All aerobically growing bacteria submitted will automatically have susceptibility testing performed and billed as appropriate. Antimicrobial agent appropriate to the organism and specimen source will be tested.
See Special Instructions to review tables that provide a listing of the antimicrobials routinely tested in our laboratory as well as antimicrobials that may be tested upon request. These tables are organized by isolate groups and are not all inclusive. Contact MML and ask to speak to the Bacteriology Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing Laboratory if the organism or antimicrobial of interest are not listed in these tables.
Mayo Medical Laboratories will not perform susceptibility testing on select agents (eg, Bacillus anthracis, Brucella species, Burkholderia mallei, Burkholderia pseudomallei, Francisella tularensis, and Yersinia pestis). Please consult with your state health department or the CDC regarding antimicrobial susceptibility testing of such isolates.
Supplies: T146 Large infectious container
Container/Tube: Agar slant or other appropriate media
Specimen Volume: Organism in pure culture
1. Perform isolation of infecting bacteria.
2. Organism must be in pure culture, actively growing. Do not submit mixed cultures.
3. Place specimen in a large infectious container (T146) and label as an etiologic agent/infectious substance.
1. Organism identification and specimen source are required for processing.
2. See Infectious Specimen Shipping Guidelines in Special Instructions
Forms: If not ordering electronically, complete, print, and send a Microbiology Test Request Form (T244) with the specimen (http://www.mayomedicallaboratories.com/it-mmfiles/microbiology_test_request_form.pdf).