Culture Referred for Identification, Mycobacterium
Specimen Type Describes the specimen type needed for testing
Specimen Required Defines the optimal specimen. This field describes the type of specimen required to perform the test and the preferred volume to complete testing. The volume allows automated processing, fastest throughput and, when indicated, repeat or reflex testing.
Specimen Type: Organism
Container/Tube: Middlebrook (7H10 or 7H11) or Lowenstein-Jensen medium slant or in broth (eg, Mycobacteria Growth Indicator Tube [7H9] broth)
Specimen Volume: Isolate
1. Organism must be in pure culture, actively growing.
2. Place specimen in a large infectious container (Supply T146) and label as an etiologic agent/infectious substance.
1. Specimen source is required.
2. Isolate description is required: Gram stain reaction, morphology, tests performed.
3. See Infectious Specimen Shipping Guidelines in Special Instructions for shipping information.
Specimen Stability Information Provides a description of the temperatures required to transport a specimen to the laboratory. Alternate acceptable temperature(s) are also included.