Cervical Papanicolaou Smear, Diagnostic without Physician Interpretation
Specimen Type Describes the specimen type needed for testing
Specimen Required Defines the optimal specimen. This field describes the type of specimen required to perform the test and the preferred volume to complete testing. The volume allows automated processing, fastest throughput and, when indicated, repeat or reflex testing.
Mayo Medical Laboratories' clients need prior laboratory approval to order Cytology testing.
Container/Tube: Glass slide
Specimen Volume: Circular scrape of cervical os
1. Specimen containers must be labeled with a minimum of 2 unique identifiers (patient's name, and medical record number or date of birth). Containers should also be labeled with specimen source, and date collected.
2. Glass slides may be labeled with a single unique identifier, but 2 identifiers are preferred. If multiple slides are submitted, each slide must have proper identification. Glass slides should be identified with the following: patient's name and a second patient identifier that is also on the accompanying paperwork (ie, medical record number or date of birth)
3. Fix slides immediately in 95% alcohol or treat with commercially available spray fixative.
1. An acceptable cytology request form must accompany specimen containers and include the following: Patient's name, medical record number, date of birth, sex, source (exact location and procedure used), date specimen was taken, name of ordering physician and pager number.
2. Submit any pertinent clinical information, including date of last menstrual period.
Specimen Stability Information Provides a description of the temperatures required to transport a specimen to the laboratory. Alternate acceptable temperature(s) are also included.