|Values are valid only on day of printing.|
Mayo Medical Laboratories' clients need prior laboratory approval to order Cytology testing.
Container/Tube: Glass slide
Specimen Volume: Circular scrape of cervical os
1. For optimal interpretation, Papanicolaou smears should be collected near the middle of the menstrual cycle. No douching, lubricant use, or sexual intercourse for 24 hours prior to specimen collection.
Note: Abnormal results will be reviewed by a physician at an additional charge.
2. Specimen containers must be labeled with a minimum of 2 unique identifiers (patient's name, and medical record number or date of birth). Containers should also be labeled with specimen source, and date collected.
3. Glass slides may be labeled with a single unique identifier, but 2 identifiers are preferred. If multiple slides are submitted, each slide must have proper identification. Glass slides should be identified with the following: patient's name and a second patient identifier that is also on the accompanying paperwork (ie, medical record number or date of birth)
4. Fix slides immediately in 95% alcohol or treat with commercially available spray fixative.
1. An acceptable cytology request form must accompany specimen containers and include the following: Patient's name, medical record number, date of birth, sex, source (exact location and procedure used), date specimen was taken, name of ordering physician and pager number.
2. Submit any pertinent clinical information, including date of last menstrual period.
Forms: If not ordering electronically, complete, print, and send a Oncology Test Request Form (T729) with the specimen