|Values are valid only on day of printing.|
SUBMIT ALL OF THE FOLLOWING (Read ALL collection
information prior to start of test and collection of specimens.)
Serum-Required: Fasting serum and Two-hour specimen
Collect blood in plain, red-top tube(s), allow to clot completely
at room temperature. Separate from cells ASAP and label tube
with "Fasting serum" or "Two-hour serum" as appropriate. Ship
Collect all urine for five hours. Measure and record the volume,
mix well and remove a 5 mL aliquot, label sample "Five-hour
urine". Ship specimen refrigerate.
REQUIRED COLLECTION INSTRUCTIONS - Read ALL
collection information prior to start of test.
* 25 g Xylose dose must be obtained from a pharmacy.
* Patient should fast for eight hours prior to start of test.
* Patient should empty bladder prior to start of test. (do not collect)
* Prior to xylose administration, collect fasting serum sample, label tube
Clearly "Fasting Serum"
* Give adults 25 g D-xylose in 250 mL water. Encourage
patient to drink an additional 250 mL water following xylose
dose. The patient may have water as desired, but no other
food or fluids. Smoking should be prohibited. The patient
should rest in a chair or bed until completion of test. Mild
diarrhea is common following xylose ingestion.
* Collect the second serum sample two hours after giving the
xylose dose. Label tube clearly "Two-hour Serum".
* Immediately following xylose dose, COLLECT ALL URINE FOR THE
NEXT FIVE HOURS. Measure and record the volume, mix
well and remove a 5 mL aliquot. Label sample "Five-hour
Urine", record total volume and the xylose dose given.
Mild OK; Gross reject
Warm reject; Cold OK
|Serum||Refrigerated (preferred)||7 days|
|Timed Serum||Refrigerated (preferred)||7 days|
|Urine||Refrigerated (preferred)||7 days|