|Values are valid only on day of printing.|
SUBMIT ALL OF THE FOLLOWING (Read ALL collection information prior to start of test and collection of specimens.)
Serum-Required: Fasting serum and Two-hour specimen Collect blood in plain, red-top tube(s), allow to clot completely at room temperature. Separate from cells ASAP and label tube with "Fasting serum" or "Two-hour serum" as appropriate. Ship specimens refrigerate.
Collect all urine for five hours. Measure and record the volume, mix well and remove a 5 mL aliquot, label sample "Five-hour urine". Ship specimen refrigerate.
REQUIRED COLLECTION INSTRUCTIONS - Read ALL collection information prior to start of test.
* 25 g Xylose dose must be obtained from a pharmacy.
* Patient should fast for eight hours prior to start of test.
* Patient should empty bladder prior to start of test. (do not collect)
* Prior to xylose administration, collect fasting serum sample, label tube
Clearly "Fasting Serum"
* Give adults 25 g D-xylose in 250 mL water. Encourage patient to drink an additional 250 mL water following xylose dose. The patient may have water as desired, but no other food or fluids. Smoking should be prohibited. The patient should rest in a chair or bed until completion of test. Mild diarrhea is common following xylose ingestion.
* Collect the second serum sample two hours after giving the xylose dose. Label tube clearly "Two-hour Serum".
* Immediately following xylose dose, COLLECT ALL URINE FOR THE NEXT FIVE HOURS. Measure and record the volume, mix well and remove a 5 mL aliquot. Label sample "Five-hour Urine", record total volume and the xylose dose given.
Mild OK; Gross reject
Warm reject; Cold OK
|Serum||Refrigerated (preferred)||7 days|
|Timed Serum||Refrigerated (preferred)||7 days|
|Urine||Refrigerated (preferred)||7 days|