|Values are valid only on day of printing.|
All porphyrin tests on erythrocytes can be performed on 1 draw tube.
Preferred: Green top (sodium heparin)
Acceptable: Lavender top (EDTA) or green top (lithium heparin)
Submission Container/Tube: Plastic vial
Specimen Volume: Washed erythrocyte suspension
1. Patient should abstain from alcohol for 24 hours.
2. Collect and process whole blood specimen as follows:
a. Immediately place specimen on wet ice.
b. Transfer entire specimen to a 12-mL graduated centrifuge tube.
c. Centrifuge specimen for 10 minutes at 2,000 rpm.
d. Record volume of packed cells and the total volume of the specimen.
e. Discard supernatant plasma.
f. Wash packed erythrocytes 2 times by resuspension of at least an equal amount of cold 0.9% saline, mix, and centrifuge for 5 minutes at 2,000 rpm, discarding supernatant after each washing.
g. Resuspend packed cells to the original total volume with 0.9% saline. Invert specimen gently to mix.
1. Volume of packed cells and total volume of erythrocyte suspension (red cells + saline) are required and must be sent with specimen.
2. Include a list of medications the patient is currently taking.
1. New York Clients-Informed consent is required. Please document on the request form or electronic order that a copy is on file. An Informed Consent for Genetic Testing (Supply T576) is available in Special Instructions.
2. If not ordering electronically, submit a Biochemical Genetics Request Form (Supply T439) with the specimen.
Cell suspension not available
|Washed RBC||Frozen||14 days|