To ensure continued safety of your staff and ours, all microbiology cultures sent to Mayo Medical Laboratories for diagnostic testing must be sent in:
packaging and clearly identified with a round blue label
with the letter 'C' on it (culture).
Refer to the Microbiology Culture Test List for test numbers.
- A Mayo Medical Laboratories-supplied secondary container.
- Place the culture in a secondary leak-proof container. The Infectious Container, supply T146, is leakproof and includes bubble wrap (to prevent breakage) and an absorbent material inside. If multiple microbiology specimens are sent, each specimen should be transported in its own container.
- Place the secondary container in bio-hazard bag and
place "C" label on outside of specimen bag.
- Place bag in Styrofoam container and place "C" label on top of Styrofoam container.*
- Place Styrofoam container in shipping box and place
"C" label on outside of shipping box.*
* If a scheduled courier picks up specimens at your facility, they will perform steps 3 and 4.
Reorder supplies per your usual process. The order numbers for secondary containers and labels are as follows:
- Large container T-146
- Biohazard bag T-043
- Blue "C" label T-549
Send specimens following Infectious Substance requirements if it appears on the list of infectious Category A substances. Refer to the shipping information for Infectious and Diagnostic Specimens.