Ordering Your First Test
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I label my specimens for testing?
- Why was my specimen rejected?
- Sometimes I have additional information I want to share with Mayo related to a specimen such as shared specimen, additional specimen, difficult collection, etc. Is it acceptable in to write the information on the batch sheet?
Step 1: Select the appropriate tests
Additional guidance in test selection is available in our Test Utilization section.
Step 2: Gather the following information
- Name of your hospital or clinic
- Mailing address
- A contact name
- Telephone number
- FAX number
- Unit code and name of test(s)
Step 3: Contact our call center
United States and Canada
Our Customer Service Representative will ask for the information collected in Step 2 to create an account. You must obtain an account number before submitting specimens.
A general test request form (see example) with your account number included will be FAXed to you.
Step 4: Complete all forms
Download, print, and fill out any required forms.
* * Critical * *
Add your account number to all patient information forms. If you are using a specific test requisition form (Molecular Genetics for example), be certain to add your account number to the test requisition form.
Required forms for each test are identified in the Specimen Requirements section, refer to the Test Catalog.
Step 5: Package and ship the specimen
Refer to Specimen Transport for packing and shipping details.