p40, Immunostain Without Interpretation
Clinical Information Discusses physiology, pathophysiology, and general clinical aspects, as they relate to a laboratory test
p40 is an antibody that recognizes the deltaNp63 isoform of p63. This isoform may exert an oncogenic effect and is selectively expressed in squamous cell carcinoma.
Diagnosis and classification of carcinomas and lymphomas
Cautions Discusses conditions that may cause diagnostic confusion, including improper specimen collection and handling, inappropriate test selection, and interfering substances
This test includes only technical performance of the stain (no pathologist interpretation is performed). If diagnostic consultation by a pathologist is required order 70012 / Pathology Consultation.
The positive and negative controls are verified as showing appropriate immunoreactivity. If a control tissue is not included on the slide, a scanned image of the relevant quality control tissue is available upon request. Please contact 1-800-533-1710.
Interpretation of this test should be performed in the context of the patient's clinical history and other diagnostic tests by a qualified pathologist.
Clinical References Provides recommendations for further in-depth reading of a clinical nature
1. Travis WD, Brambilla E, Noguchi M, et al: Diagnosis of Lung Cancer in Small Biopsies and Cytology: Implications of the 2011 International Association for the Study of Lung Cancer/American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society Classification. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2012 Sep 12. (Epub ahead of print)
2. Nonaka D. A study of deltaNp63 expression in lung non-small cell carcinomas. Am J Surg Pathol 2012;36(6):895-899
3. Pelosi G, Fabbri A, Bianchi F, et al: DeltaNp63 (p40) and thyroid transcription factor-1 immunoreactivity on small biopsies or cellblocks for typing non-small cell lung cancer: a novel two-hit, sparing-material approach. J Thorac Oncol 2012;7(2):281-290
4. Bishop JA, Teruya-Feldstein J, Westra WH et al: p40 is superior to p63 for the diagnosis of pulmonary squamous cell carcinoma. Mod Pathol 2012;25(3):405-415
5. Geddert H, Kiel S, Heep HJ, et al: The role of p63 and deltaNp63 (p40) protein expression and gene amplification in esophageal carcinogenesis. Hum Pathol 2003;34(9):850-856