Dangerous Goods Training
Ask for Transportation Department
United States, Canada
Expires: May 2015
This training is provided as a service to Mayo Medical Laboratories clients and couriers. It is limited to shipping of medical specimens for diagnostic testing, including Category A Infectious Substances and Category B Biological Substances. Although we strive to ensure that the information is current and accurate, we remind you that it is the employer’s responsibility to perform and verify the training of their employees.
This training is not endorsed or "certified" by ICAO, FAA, TSA, IATA, DOT, or any other association or agency. Parts of this training apply only to shipments originating or ending in the United States. Only MML clients and couriers should use this training. Non-Mayo Medical Laboratories clients and couriers are encouraged to use one of the many commercial vendors specializing in IATA and DOT training.
Who Needs Training?
By law, any person who causes dangerous goods to be transported by a public carrier must follow specific regulations and must have proof of training.
In a laboratory environment, sendout staff, those who transport dangerous goods, and those who receive dangerous goods are among those that require training.
Upon completion of this course, you will be eligible to take an online self-assessment quiz to obtain a dangerous goods shipping training completion certificate.
This self-paced training and evaluation process is only one component of the client support offered by Mayo Medical Laboratories.
How Do I Receive Proof of Training?
The process consists of training and a quiz. Complete the following steps:
- Review all five sections of the self-paced training course
- Take and pass the self-assessment quiz and evaluation
- Generate and print the Dangerous Goods Certificate
- Sign the Certificate and have a Trainer or Supervisor sign as “Facilitator”
Retain a copy of the training completion certificate and a copy of these training materials according to your laboratory's procedures.
Upon completion of this course, you should be able to:
- Describe the regulations imposed on most laboratories and the importance of following them.
- Classify infectious substances for transport.
- Demonstrate the procedures for legally and safely shipping various infectious specimens.
- Integrate dangerous goods procedures into your laboratory.
- Complete the online self-assessment quiz, which enables you to obtain dangerous goods shipping certification.
Laboratory Compliance Office
Self-Paced Learning Options
Released May 27, 2008
Revised January 2013
Two self-paced training options are available. We recommend viewing the multimedia presentation. When using this option, it may be helpful to take notes on a printout of the PDF version.
View the following in order:
- Overview (3.5 minutes)
- Classifying Specimens (6.5 minutes)
- Packaging & Labeling Specimens (11 minutes)
- Transporting & Documenting Specimens (5 minutes)
- Training Employees (5 minutes)
Online Quiz and Completion Certificate
You must pass this quiz with a score of 80% or greater to obtain a dangerous goods shipping certificate.
Note: You will be prompted to register and sign in to access the quiz.
- Continue to the Dangerous Goods Shipping Certification quiz
(once signed in, click the Start evaluation button)
- How do I print my certificate?
The PDF includes the notes pages of the multimedia presentation.
Frequently Asked Questions
- If I work in a hospital laboratory send-out area and I get a courier pick up, do I need Dangerous Goods Training?
- Is the Dangerous Goods Training course/test different from the online packing and shipping information that you offer?
- If I am not shipping a Category A Infectious Substance, do I need still need to take the Dangerous Goods Training?
- Why not simply classify all medical specimens as Category A? That way I would be sure that I never "under-classify" any shipments.
- Do I need to keep a certificate of training with me whenever I transport Category A specimens?
- Does Mayo Medical Laboratories need to have a copy of the hospital client's or courier's certificate of training?
Mayo Medical Laboratories is approved as a provider of continuing education programs in the Clinical Laboratory Sciences by the ASCLS P.A.C.E.® program. This program has been approved for a maximum of 1.0 P.A.C.E. contact hours. Level of instruction for this program is intermediate.
Mayo Medical Laboratories is approved as a Continuing Education Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Science for State of California and State of Florida credit. Florida Board of Clinical Laboratory Personnel has designated this program for general credit. The level of instruction for this program is intermediate. This program has been approved for 1.0 contact hours.
Hard Copy Alternative
If you are unable to access the quiz electronically, you may request a PDF version.