Preparing Your Specimen
What are the specific requirements for collecting my specimen?
In the online Test Catalog, you will find the specimen requirements on the Specimen tab of each test.
Before you send a specimen, make sure you have met the specific requirements for your specimen, including:
- specimen type (for example: plasma, serum, whole blood)
- specimen volume
- patient information
- two person-specific identifiers on the patient label affixed to the test tube
- specimen container (for example; metal-free, separation gel, appropriate preservative)
- transport medium
- temperature (ambient, frozen or refrigerated)
- 24-hour collection for timed urine specimens (see Urine Preservatives chart)
- pH of urine
- lack of hemolysis/lipemia
More questions in this category | All questions