Clopidogrel Platelet Function Tests
Caveats and Controversies
With a wide variety of tests available for platelet function, a good place to start selection of a test methodology is to find out what test(s) are used most frequently in studies performed by the clinical service likely to utilize the testing at your facility. In our case this was the neurosurgery and neurology departments and the VerifyNow test was the most frequently quoted in their literature. Next you would like to see results of the test you are considering compared with the gold standard for testing, ideally with a favorable result. If such a study is not available, you might get the instrument on loan to do the study in-house if you have access to the gold standard test method. Finally, there are multiple practical issues that will influence you selection. FDA approval makes validation and billing easier. The turn around time, need for 24 hours testing and the need for point of care availability may be discussed with the departments utilizing the testing. The cost of reagents or cartridges as well as the original purchase price of the instrument may affect your selection. Contacting laboratories which are already utilizing this method can provide insight into problems or advantages to this method of testing.
How We Choose a Testing Method
Jump to section:
- Learning Objectives
- Platelet Function Tests for the Detection of Clopidogrel Resistance1
- Platelet Function Tests for the Detection of Clopidogrel Resistance
- Caveat: There Is No Perfect Platelet Function Test...
- Problems With Testing For Clopidogrel
- How We Choose a Testing Method
- Methodology Table
- Platelet Function Testing Available at Mayo Clinic Florida
- Light Transmission Platelet Aggregometry Studies (LTA)
- Platelet Aggregation (Cont'd)
- Normal Patient
- Accumetrics VerifyNow Test
- VerifyNow P2Y12 Test
- P2Y12 Test Interferences
- P2Y12 Antagonists2
- Can These Platelet Function Tests Be Used for Ticagrelor (Brilinta/Brilique)?
- PFA–100 (Cont'd)
- INNOVANCE PFA P2Y
- TEG — Platelet Mapping
- Results of VerifyNow Testing
- 2009–2011 Clopidogrel Response at 30%
- Genetic Testing: Clopidogrel Metabolism
- Clopidogrel Metabolism
- Number of Gene Polymorphisms
- Clopidogrel Metabolism and Genetic Polymorphisms
- Why Do Genetic Testing?
- Clopidogrel Genetics (Cont'd)
- Caveats — Other Reasons for Poor Response to Clopidogrel
- CYP2C19 Polymorphism May Require Another Factor
- Controversy for Clopidogrel
- Warning: Diminished Effectiveness In Poor Metabolizers
- What Does Warning Mean For Clinicians With Patients On Clopidogrel?
- FDA Answer
- More Questions