Specimen Minimum Volume
So, when patient conditions do not mandate reduced collection volumes, we ask that our clients submit the preferred volume to facilitate rapid, cost-effective, reliable test results, reserving minimum volume submission to those exceptional cases.
Finally, please recognize that Mayo staff will make every possible effort to successfully test your patient’s specimen. In some cases, because of volume limitations, specimens will be inadequate for the desired testing. But, if you have concerns about submitting a specimen for testing, please call Mayo Laboratory Inquiry at 800-533-1710. Our staff can discuss the testing you desire and the specimen you have available, and determine if testing can be performed, possibly using alternative techniques.
Together we can assure that our patients receive the testing that they need, while at the same time minimizing the risk of phlebotomy-induced anemia.
Jump to section:
- Iatrogenic Anemia
- Adverse Consequences of Anemia
- Specimen Volumes Have Decreased Over Time
- Specimen Volume Reduction Initiatives at Mayo
- Specimen Minimum Volume (SMV) Definitions
- Automated Assay SMV
- Manual Assay SMV
- Locating Minimum Volume on the Test Catalog
- Specimen Minimum Volume
- Comparison to 5 Commercial Labs
- Specimen Volume Review
- 25-OH Vitamin D: Minimum Volume Requirements
- Specimen Required or Minimum Volume
- Specimen Required Field
- Minimum Volume Field
- Submitted Volume