Red Cell Folate Testing
Unwarranted and Overutilized in the Era of Folic Acid Supplementation
Welcome to Mayo Medical Laboratories' Hot Topics. These presentations provide short discussions of current topics and may be helpful to you in your practice.
Our presenter for this program is Amy K. Saenger, PhD, Director of the Central Clinical Laboratory in the Department of Laboratory Medicine & Pathology at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. Dr. Saenger will discuss the limited utility of testing for erythrocyte folate in the age of folic acid supplementation. She will also offer alternative choices for the diagnosis of folate and vitamin B12 deficiency.
Jump to section:
- Selected Food Sources of Folate and Folic Acid*
- Causes of Folate Deficiency
- Laboratory Diagnosis of Folate Deficiency
- Folate and Vitamin B12 Deficiency
- Quantitation of Folate: Methods
- Differences Between Folate Immunoassays
- Analytical Imprecision: RBC Folate (CAP Surveys)
- Equivalence of Serum and RBC Folate
- Modern Folate Deficiency is Rare
- Mayo RBC/Serum Folate Orders 1999-2009