The Human Genome Project
Now, even though we have impressive technology, this is a diagram of just a few of the pathways that are involved in the metabolism of some of the steroids and if we were to superimpose on this all the pathways that go into a cell, it would be next to impossible to draw a cartoon to show these things. So we have impressive technologies but we’re utilizing them to try to understand a very complex organism and a very complex alteration of that organism that gives rise to cancer. But with these types of technologies in the next couple of years we are going to see profound changes in the way we understand cancer and the way we treat cancer.
Diagram of Pathways
Jump to section:
- How Do We Obtain Genetic Information?
- Cell Cross-Section
- Different Cell Types
- What Happens When You Sit Outside in the Sun?
- DNA is the Altered Target in Cancer Cells
- DNA Structure
- How to Tackle a Problem as Difficult as Cancer?
- Sequencing DNA
- More on DNA Structure
- Replicating a Strand of DNA
- Developing the Deoxy Chain Terminiation Sequence
- Reading a DNA Sequence
- Gel Electrophoresis
- Two DNA Sequences Seen in Gel Electrophoresis
- Overlapping Pieces of DNA
- Requirements to Sequence the Human Genome?
- Advances in Sanger Sequencing
- Sequencing with Fluorescent Dye
- Advances in Fluorescent Sequencing
- Celera Genomics
- Capacity: 96 Capillary Sequencing
- Computers and the Human Genome Project
- Where are We Today?
- What Have We Learned From Genome Sequences?
- What Can We Do With Sequenced Genomes?
- Transcriptional Profiling (TP)
- Different Technologies to Produce Microarrays
- Utilizing Microarrays to Measure Gene Expression
- Hyrbidization to an Affymetrix Array
- Gene Expression Comparison Between Samples
- Gene Expression Map
- Proteomic-Based Strategies
- Example of a Single Gene
- How Do We Quantify Proteins?
- Differentiate Between Control and Disease State
- Mass Spectrometry
- Electrospray Ionization FT-ICR Mass Spectrometer
- LC-ESI-TOF vs LC-FT-ICR Mass Spectrometry
- What's the Short-term Payoff?
- What's the Long-term Payoff?
- Diagram of Pathways Involved in Steroid Metabolism