What is LOINC and Why Does it Matter?
Click CC to turn on closed captioning.
LOINC (Logical Observation Identifier Names and Codes) is a universal code system for identifying laboratory tests and clinical observations. Mapping local terms to LOINC enables the exchange and aggregation of electronic health data from many independent systems, including clinical care, research, and outcomes management. Dr. Rosenblatt describes how LOINC assignments are made and the importance of these codes in laboratory medicine and clinical care.
- Jon Rosenblatt, MD
- Professor of Medicine and Microbiology at Mayo Clinic
- Consultant in the Division of Clinical Microbiology
- After viewing, complete the optional survey that appears.
- On the evaluation screen, submit any questions for the presenter. All questions and answers will be published on the Beyond Hot Topic page approximately one month after the Hot Topic posting.
Forward to a Colleague
Share this presentation with:
- Laboratory Managers
- Internal Medicine Physicians
- Infectious Disease Physicians
If you have questions, email .