The fertility testing menu has remained relatively constant during the past decade and continues to be an integral component of the workup of the infertile couple. New tests in development include more sensitive measures of sperm fertilizing ability as well as tests to determine the stability of DNA in sperm. The Fertility Testing Laboratory deals with procedures to diagnose and treat infertility and also serves as a bank (storage facility) for patients wishing to cryopreserve (freeze) sperm before medical or surgical procedures that may temporarily or permanently result in reduced fertility or sterility.
- The lab features:
- State-of-the-art facilities and procedures
- Close interaction with research groups
- Direct involvement with development of new testing and treatments for infertility
- Current test offerings through Mayo Medical Laboratories include:
- Post-vasectomy semen check
- Semen analysis with World Health Organization morphology
- Semen cryopreservation
- Anti-sperm antibody testing
- Strict criteria sperm morphology
- Qualitative fructose assay
See a complete list of all tests performed in the Fertility Testing Laboratory.