The Mayo Special Coagulation Laboratory has extensive experience in providing high-quality hemostatic testing and interpretation of results, including more than 30 years of experience with mailed-in specimens. In addition to experience and quality, our strength especially results from the expertise of our staff, which includes:
- Physician director (cardiovascular, internal medicine, molecular genetics and laboratory medicine)
- Eleven consulting hematologists, cardiovascular specialists, or hematopathologists with expertise and interest in clinical and laboratory hemostasis and thrombosis to provide test panel interpretation and consultation
- Clinical technical coagulation specialist available to assist clients with questions regarding appropriate testing, specimen requirements, and interpretation of results
- Highly qualified laboratory personnel
Additional strengths and features of the Special Coagulation Laboratory include:
- Large repertoire of test procedures available, using state-of-the-art technology, to address virtually all clinical coagulation disorders
- Extensive clinical correlation with Mayo Clinic experience, large esoteric test volume (>325,000 tests in 2008), and experience with many unusual cases help ensure broad expertise.
- Close liaison with coagulation research aids development of new testing procedures, refinements of older procedures, and investigation of unusual cases.
- Ready access to the personnel and expertise of the federally funded Mayo Comprehensive Hemophilia and Mayo Thrombophilia Centers for assistance in diagnosis and management of patients with hereditary or acquired bleeding or thrombosing disorders
- The Special Coagulation DNA-Diagnostic Laboratory (established in 1996) facilitates testing for hereditary bleeding and thrombosing disorders (>60,000 genotyping assays in 2008).
- In addition to individually ordered tests, we
availability of consultative test groupings (available
“Coagulation Consultations”) for complex or difficult
diagnostic problems such as:
- THRMP Thrombophilia Profile
- BDIAL Bleeding Diathesis Profile Limited
- LUPPR Lupus Like Anticoagulant Profile
- PROCT Prolonged Clot Time Profile
- VWPR von Willebrand Profile
- F8INH Factor VIII Inhibitor Evaluation
- Electronic reporting of test results and interpretations
- Consultation and test interpretation readily available by phone from experienced physicians with coagulation subspecialty