Mayo Medical Laboratories is a global reference laboratory operating within Mayo Clinic's Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology. Mayo Medical Laboratories staff collaborates with clinicians to provide knowledge of, and access to, the latest testing and treatment guidance. We provide clinical laboratory testing to support health care systems, hospitals, specialty clinics, and other clinical laboratories all working toward expert, whole-person care to everyone who needs healing.
Mayo Clinic's mission is to inspire hope and to contribute to health and well-being by providing the best care to every patient through integrated clinical practice, education, and research. Our primary value is "The needs of the patient come first."
Our Laboratory Locations
3050 Superior Drive NW
Rochester, MN 55901
4500 San Pablo Road
Jacksonville, FL 32224
160 Dascomb Road
Andover, MA 01810
New tests launched annually
Physicians and scientists specializing in laboratory medicine and pathology
Countries served monthly
People reached through education programs annually
Peer-reviewed articles published annually
Tests performed annually
Tests and pathology services
Honors and Recognition
The following organizations have honored Mayo Clinic and Mayo Medical Laboratories:
Advancing Patient Care
Our tests are developed and launched in close collaboration with Mayo Clinic providers with the singular goal of providing the answers necessary to help our patients. Specimens from our health care partners around the world are tested at the same state-of-the-art laboratories that perform testing for Mayo Clinic patients.
- Putting the Needs of the Patient First: Mayo Clinic's mission is to inspire hope and contribute to the health and well-being of all individuals by providing the best care to every patient through integrated clinical practice, education, and research. Last year, 1.3 million people from all 50 states and 143 countries came to Mayo Clinic for their care. As the world's first integrated group practice, Mayo Clinic has physicians, scientists, and allied health staff dedicated to every subspecialty of medicine to ensure our patients can receive expert, timely answers and the best whole-person care possible.
- Forging Close Clinical Partnerships:
To make sure we are providing the best testing for each patient, our laboratory physicians and scientist constantly interact with clinical peers to generate the unique ability to successfully integrate state-of-the-art scientific achievements into clinical practice for patients. This collaboration also ensures that the right tests are developed, validated, and implemented for the clinical practice and that these tests are ordered at the right time and in the right clinical scenario to help guide individualized patient care.
- Treating Every Specimen as Our Patient:
Patient specimens from our health care partners are tested in tandem with Mayo Clinic patient specimens. Our laboratories are committed to help our partners deliver excellent patient care by providing the highest quality test results and pathology interpretations.
- Supporting Clinical Care, Education, and Research: As the reference laboratory for Mayo Clinic, Mayo Medical Laboratories activities help fund Mayo Clinic's mission-focused activities of clinical care, education, and research.
Championing Community-Based Medicine
Whenever possible, a patient should receive testing within his/her local community. Since our inception in 1971, we have collaborated, not competed, with our laboratory partner organizations. Through strategic collaborations, we work closely with our laboratory partners to build and sustain outreach activities, provide esoteric and specialty testing, and position our community laboratories as the centers of excellence in their respective communities.
- Supporting Patient Care Activities Worldwide: Through partnerships with worldwide logistics providers and advanced specimen-packaging technologies, we support patient-care activities on nearly every continent. We work closely with each health care organization to meet its specific testing needs.
- Strengthening Community-Based Laboratories Through Outreach Support: We strongly believe in the role of laboratory outreach and its ability to improve patient care within a community. That is why we are the only major reference laboratory with dedicated outreach support staff to help our partner institutions develop and strengthen laboratory outreach programs.
- Enabling Access to Specialty Testing with Our Partners: Adverse to the industry trend of cutting out community hospitals and going directly to physicians, we partner with community laboratories to support their specialty care clinics by offering a comprehensive joint-test menu that supports local cardiologists, hematologists, neurologists, and oncologists.
Innovating for the Future
Accelerated by the Affordable Care Act, health care reform is challenging health care providers in new and dramatic ways. To ensure our partner institutions are prepared to meet the evolving demands of payers and patients, we are championing the critical role of community-based laboratories in optimizing test utilization and reducing the total cost of care for health care organizations and their patients.
Inspiring Health Care Excellence
Rooted in the educational tradition of the Mayo brothers Drs. William and Charles, we are committed to complementing the education needs of both our health care partners and the next generation of health care providers and leaders.
- Promoting the Exchange of Knowledge Through Immersive Conferences: Every year, Mayo Medical Laboratories hosts conferences around the world to facilitate discussion of the latest medical advances from leading voices in health care.
- Providing On-Demand Content: Knowing time away from the office and travel can be difficult, we have invested in delivering valuable educational opportunities in easy-to-access formats.
- Fostering Development of Fellows and Residents: As a part of the largest teaching hospital in the country, Mayo Medical Laboratories supports residencies and fellowship programs in nearly every clinical specialty, including 20 specific to pathology and laboratory medicine.
- Promoting the Health Sciences: To ensure allied health staff can excel, we actively fund and support seven formal health sciences programs, including programs dedicated to cytotechnology, genetic counseling, histology technicians, medical laboratory science, molecular genetics technology, pathologists' assistants, and phlebotomy technicians.
Pushing the Science Forward
Partnering with Mayo Clinic providers who treat patients every day, our research and test development is dedicated to solving clinical questions and providing meaningful answers for patients.
- Launching New Tests to Advance Patient Care: Our 140 physicians and scientists collaborate within the Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology to research, develop, and launch an average of 150 new tests each year to provide clinically actionable information needed to treat patients. Key areas of development include anatomic pathology, clinical biochemistry and immunology, clinical microbiology, hematopathology, and laboratory genetics.
- Contributing to the Science of Health Care:The driving force behind our test development is our dedication to advancing medical knowledge. Each year, the Mayo Clinic Department of Laboratory Medicine and Pathology publishes nearly 600 peer-reviewed articles in academic publications across all medical subspecialities.
- Helping Shape the Future of Patient Care Through Research: Our researchers seek to advance the science of medicine by leading international and national research projects. Laboratory Medicine and Pathology researchers currently hold 20 National Institutes of Health awards, 3 other federal awards, 21 subawards, 8 foundation awards, and 16 industry awards.
- Promoting the Role of Laboratory Medicine in Health Care: Laboratory and pathology experts contribute to the activities of several Mayo Clinic Centers of Excellence, including the Center for Individualized Medicine, Center for Regenerative Medicine, Center for the Science of Health Care Delivery, Center on Aging, and the Center for Innovation.
- Supporting Pathology and Laboratory Societies and Organizations: Our physicians, scientists, and allied health staff actively participate in every laboratory- and pathology-related organization through board memberships, presentations, and abstract submissions.